Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chicken Fajitas

I just got my new Simple & Delicious last week, and I was disappointed that I only marked two recipes to try from this issue.  This was one of them, and the other one is a cookie recipe I'll be making for home fellowship on Friday.  There was a really gross-looking recipe for fish with avocado sauce, and in the picture it looked like a baby had been near it, if you know what I mean.  But this chicken one sounded good so this was supper on Tuesday night.

Chicken Fajitas
1/4 cup lime juice (I bought 2 limes and it was just enough)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I left this out)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp liquid smoke, optional
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used 3 and the marinade amount was still fine)
 Filling:
2 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion, julienned
1/2 red or green pepper, julienned
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp lime juice
4 tortillas, warmed
salsa and sour cream for serving, optional

In a large ziploc bag, combine first eight ingredients; if desired, add liquid smoke.  Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Drain chicken, discarding marinade.  Grill chicken, covered, on oiled grill rack (or George Foreman grill) over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until thermometer reads 165.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion and pepper; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender.  Stir in soy sauce and lime juice. 

Cut chicken into thin slices; add to vegetables.  Serve with tortillas and, if desired, salsa and sour cream.

Two of the chicken breasts I did cut and add to the vegetables.  The third one I saved out for my picky children.  I did marinate and grill it, but then instead of adding it to the onions and peppers, I just cut it and put it into a tortilla with shredded cheese for Emma, and just by itself on a plate for Nathan, who does not like tortillas.  Everyone liked it.  The lime juice was quite yummy.  Omitting the cayenne pepper made it be not spicy at all, so everyone could enjoy.  I think this will be one I save and make again.  Depending on what kind of wrap you use, this could be gluten free, too, so I will also put it in that category.

No comments: